That Ain’t Right Just Pray About It
What begins in prayer should usually end in some kind of action. -Carey Nieuwhof
He [God] has planted eternity in the human heart… Ecclesiastes 3:11 NLT
The goal of prayer is not to pray.
The goal of prayer is to be formed.
Misconceptions of prayer:
• Misconception #1: Prayer is magic
• Misconception #2: Prayer is a hail mary
• Misconception #3: Prayer is a negotiation
• Misconception #4: Prayer is a penalty
What is prayer?
1. Prayer is a relationship, not a routine.
“The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.” Psalm 103:13 NLT
If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? As bad as you are, you wouldn’t think of such a thing. You’re at least decent to your own children. So don’t you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?” Matthew 7:9-11MSG
2. Prayer is a conversation, not a performance.
“When you pray, stop trying to sound spiritual and shorten it up, please. Get to the point.” Matthew 6:5-8
3. Prayer is an opportunity, not a requirement.
Come close to God and God will come close to you. James 4:8 NLT